Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Two clicks from impatience

Technology is supposed to make our lives easier and streamline processes. I just got a new dryer and that definitely streamlined the laundry process!  I sold a text book on Amazon this week and got a nice chunk of change back. I never would have been able to connect with a buyer in Tennessee without the Internet and Amazon and Paypal and the USPS Web site. I was pretty impressed with how quickly the whole process went. I posted my book on Saturday morning and it sold by noon.  The book is now in her hands 3 days later or at least in her mailbox according to the tracking info. 

However, there are times when a little glitch in the system makes the whole process VERY difficult. With my new enthusiasm for online merchandising, my daughter got in in the act and bid on a toy through eBay. She won and was anxious to complete the transaction. However I saw that it had an old credit card - before last year's fraud, but that is a story for another day. I wanted to change it to a different card. So I had to end the transaction and login to my Paypal account, add the card, verify the completed transaction which required logging into my credit card company's Web site and then delete the old card. By the time I did all that my lunch was cold and my daughter had lost interest. I know  it was still faster than driving to the store and back but . . .  And now the Pinterest app won't let me login because I have some setting wrong between Pinterest and Facebook but I have no idea where the setting is. Sheesh! I might have to walk upstairs and use my computer instead of my phone. How inconvenient!  What has technology done to my expectations?  And what does it mean for our kids who are growing up this way?

No comments: