Saturday, August 03, 2013

Grammar Snobs TXT 2

I am a stickler about grammar, but I love to text. I use abbreviations and incomplete sentences when I text, but not when I write more formally.  I think there is a place for both.  Last week model Kate Moss said she doesn't like to text.  She is a stickler for grammar, so she says texting takes too long because she attends to the grammatical details of her messages.  I think she is forgetting about another important writing rule - remember your purpose and audience.  Your audience when texting is normally a close friend or family member.  My children know that I can spell the word "too", but I can type it faster in a text as "2".  My purpose in a text is to convey my meaning clearly in a brief message.  So cutting corners on spelling and grammar is acceptable.  However, I would never use that informal, abbreviated style in a work email.  The audience and purpose are totally different. Last night on the John Tesh radio show he mentioned the importance of grammar in the work place and blamed texting for the declining grammar skills of our nation.  I do think we should all be precise in our formal writing.  I do consider myself a grammar snob and enjoy reading Grammar Girl's posts, but I don't think that means I can't text my friends using a different set of rules.  KNIM?

No comments: